Walking and Shopping Tour
- Explore the Zihuatanejo downtown area with a guided tour of its main sights
- See the fisherman market, a fruit market and a silver shop for great shopping opportunities
- Enjoy a tequila tasting at the town's first liquor store, offering 150 brands of tequila and mezcal
- Savor the flavor of the Mexican Pacific with a homemade lunch
- Activity duration: 5 hours (not including transportation time to and from activity)
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off included
Truly see the culture of Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo with a walking and shopping tour of this former fishing village. Follow your guide as you take in the incredible sights of the Plaza Principal downtown area, where you'll visit everything from the fisherman market, to shops selling silver and designer fashion, to the town's first liquor store that sells 150 brands of tequila!
Get a tour of Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo's downtown and fishing market
Your adventure begins early in the morning with pick-up from your Ixtapa resort. You'll arrive in no time to Zihuatanejo, the quaint fishing village that packs more than 400 years of history and culture. A knowledgeable bilingual guide will lead the way to downtown's Plaza Principal, where you'll get plenty of information about the area and its daily activities.
The first stop will be Zihuatanejo's local fisherman market, where you'll see how the local fisherman keep centuries-old traditions alive. Take photos if you wish, and feel free to sample a nice cup of coffee or tea and try homemade bread. Afterward, walk to the town's fruit market and pique your senses of smell, sight, and even taste if you feel like buying the array of exotic delicacies you find.
Go shopping for silver, tequila and a variety of clothes
Next, continue to Zihuatanejo's first silver shop, where a local salesperson will explain everything about how important silver is to the area and how artisans turn it into the amazing jewelry you'll be admiring in the store, including the owner's personal silver designs. Then, you'll visit the town's first liquor store, which not only packs a lot of history but also offers 150 brands of tequila and mezcal for purchase. A tequila tasting will help you select the best brand just for you.
You'll also have free time to shop at a variety of stores, including places with designer brands and boutiques with handmade clothing, as well as visiting an old church and the craft market. To wrap up your tour of Zihuatanejo, you'll have time for a delicious lunch featuring the traditional Mexican delicacy of mole, a special sauce that adds so much flavor to either chicken or pork. When you finish, hop on your vehicle for the return ride to your resort.
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear suitable for walking
- Bring hat, sunglasses, biodegradable sunblock, insect repellent and camera
- Bring money for drinks, snacks, tips and souvenirs (tipping is optional)
- Pick-up and drop-off times will vary according to resort location
- Round-trip, air-conditioned transportation
- English-speaking guide
- Samples of coffee or tea and Mexican sweet bread
- One drink
- Tequila tasting